Saturday, April 14, 2012

Baby T's Crib Blanket




So excited to send this baby blanket off today to Baby T! I am so happy to be an auntie to my very first niece (through my direct family). For the main part of this blanket I used a very easy stitch from Caron.com. It is free and you can print and download a copy at http://www.naturallycaron.com/projects/sheina/sheina_1.html


I used Paton Beehive Baby Chunky yarn, which I found to be very soft and appropriate for a baby blanket. I used about 3 skeins of each color to complete this project. It is almost the width of a baby crib and several inches shorter. For the top and bottom edge I had to play around a bit with different styles. I did not care for the border in the Caron pattern so I came up with one I thought more appropriate for a little girl. This border reminds me of a princess crown. It is so simple to make and would look nice as a trim on almost anything.


The pattern for this is as follows:

Chain the length desired in multiples of 6 plus 2ch. For instance, I chained 104. That is 102 (a multiple of 6) plus 2. If you do the same you should, in the end, have 17 crown points on your border. (17 X 6 = 102 + 2 = 104 chains). Hope that makes sense.



Sc in 2nd chain from hook, *skip next 2 ch, (3 dc, chain 4, sl st in base of first ch of the last ch four group, 3 dc) all in next ch. Skip 2 ch, sc in next ch*, Repeat from * to * to the end of row.





If you are making this trim on a blanket like the one I have made, you should make a row of sc around your blanket first and then apply this trim. The instruction would be the same except that you will be stitching in sc and not chains (ch). On the corners of this blanket I just sc, ch 1, sc, and then continued down the next side with the crown pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment